Wednesday, November 9, 2016

ESTONIAN TRADITIONAL STORY - HOW THE FOX PUNISHED HIS TAIL

The Estonian traditional story in English language (translated by Helina Aaboja):

A Fox had a walk in the forest. Accidentally happened a hunter to be near by and the hunter’s dog began to chase the fox. The fox ran so fast he could and barely made it to his cave to hide. In the cave danger was over, and the fox began to confront his limbs:
"Eyes, what you were doing when I escaped from the dog?"
"We were targeting, we were targeting, is the cave far away."

Asked then from the ears:
"Ears, what you were doing when I escaped from the dog?"
"We were listening, we were listening, is the dog far away."

Asked from nose:
"Nose, what you were doing when I escaped from the dog?"
"I was dragging smell, I was dragging smell, whether the dog is left behind."

Asked the fox from the feet:
"Feet, what you were doing when I escaped from the dog?"
The first legs responded:
"We pulled from the front, we pulled from the front."
The back feet said:
"We were speeding up, we were speeding up. This way we saved you from the hunter's hand. "

Asked from the body:
"Body, what you were doing when I escaped from the dog?"
"I was stretching it long, I was stretching it long."

Asked the fox finally the tail:
"Tail, what you were doing when I escaped from the dog?"
The tail said:
"From behind one tree to behind another tree, hop here and hop there, to one side and then to the other side, so that the dog almost caught you."
Fox became angry with the tail, put it out of the hole, and said:
"Doggy, eat the tail off!"

The dog pulled the tail with the fox out from the cave. So were the tail and the fox manfully ruffled by the dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment